Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||West Hartford, CT United States
The Assistant Controller is responsible for overseeing the daily accounting activities of the department, preparation of the monthly financial statements and general ledger management functions. Accounting activities include the management/performance of financial reporting and related reconciliations, grants reporting, restricted funds management and financial aid reconciliations.
• Manages monthly financial closing processes and preparation of monthly financial statements.
• Manage the chart of accounts and participate in design and documentation of financial reporting automated workflows.
• Preparation of 990, 990T (including EADA, NCAA).
• Restricted gift and grant accounting management.
• Supports Annual financial audit engagement.
• Develops and implements accounting workflows in the business office supporting financial reporting, Bursar and Financial Aid offices in support and maintenance of a reliable internal control environment.
• Responsible for staffing decisions including supervising, evaluating and training staff positions.
• Interprets and applies University and regulatory policy as related to financial reporting, grants and restricted gift administration, and chart of accounts design.
• Interprets monitors and applies policies, regulations and donor restrictions as related to gift/grants processing and reporting.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in accounting or finance.
• Master’s degree and/or CPA designation helpful.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in accounting or finance field with supervisory responsibilities.
• Higher education experience or not for profit experience preferred.
• Proficiency in excel including (pivot tables, and vlook-up)
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Able to function independently while operating effectively within a team environment.
• Possess solid general computer skills, including ability to work in a Windows environment. Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Internet, and other programs as needed (e.g., mail merge, data base management). Familiarity with specific applications used by the University/Department a plus.
• Excellent oral and written skills and ability to communicate comfortably with students, colleagues, and external constituents.
• Demonstrated ability to handle complex and multiple tasks in a professional and efficient manner.
• Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or employee population.
• Exhibits a high level of professionalism, leadership, creative problem solving, diplomacy, negotiation and sales skills, and the ability to manage complex projects with minimal supervision.
• Professional, courteous demeanor and appearance; ability to engage positively and work professionally with students, faculty, staff and administration and represent the University professionally to the public.
• Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
USJ, founded by the Sisters of Mercy, provides a rigorous liberal arts and professional education for a diverse student population while maintaining a strong commitment to developing the potential of women. The main USJ campus is located in beautiful West Hartford with a state-of-the-art facility in downtown Hartford that houses the School of Pharmacy. Hartford, the State capital, is located on the Connecticut River and midway between Boston and New York City and is part of the New England’s “Knowledge Corridor Partnership”. Hartford-Springfield is New England's most populous region after Greater Boston, with approximately 1.7 million residents and 100,000 university students. Hartford and the surrounding areas are ideally located near other major cities, popular beaches and mountains. The area boasts 29 colleges and universities and numerous major hospitals.
School and Department
The Department of Nursing is one of six departments housed in the School of Interdisciplinary Health and Sciences (SIHS). In addition to Nursing, the SIHS has the Departments of Counseling and Applied Behavioral Studies, Human Development and Family Studies, Nutrition and Public Health, Psychology, and Social Work and Equitable Community Practice. The nationally recognized Department of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), and is approved by the Connecticut Board of Examiners for Nursing. USJ’s nursing faculty consists of dedicated professionals who are engaged in teaching, clinical practice, and professional scholarship, committed to the Mercy mission, and involved in a number of outreach projects in the local, national, and international community.
The Department currently enrolls approximately 300 undergraduate, 160 graduate, and 22 doctoral students. The Department offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, RN to BS and Accelerated Second Degree Programs; Master of Science in Nursing with specialties in Psychiatric Mental Health and Family Nurse Practitioner Programs- Advanced Practice Registered Nursing (APRN), Nursing Education, and a Post-Master’s Degree Certificate as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (APRN). The Department also offers an online Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program with a focus on leadership. The Chair reports directly to the Dean of the School of Interdisciplinary Health and Science.
Please visit our employer showcase!